Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"NEW" Batteries for Project Triumph!!!


I have been driving the Triumph on errends, an autocross, and have made a couple commutes to work - but the batteries I originally chose lack the discharge rate and the AH to get the job done. Pictured are the "old" batteries on the left - and the "new" batteries on the right. They are 67 lb UPS batteries rated at 88AH / 800A Discharge (the blue ones are 25lbs and 35AH and the most I've seen from them is about 400A Discharge momentarily). The "new" batteries are actually 7-8 years old and were in service in a UPS system - since they are a "10 year" battery, I'm hoping to get some bonus life out of them in my electric car tests and racing. While unloading them, I realized that adding 870 lbs of batteries (156V) to a 1600lb car would require welding in braces for the suspension and even stiffer rear springs - so, I have decided to go with a 96V system. ALAS - my beautiful Logisystems 550AMP controller is a 120-156 Volt model. This last weekend, I acted on a hunch and removed some of the old batteries - and VIOLA!!! it works great at 96Volts!!!! These Logisystems controllers have been called "fragile" and worse - so, operating at 96V should make it happy and allow it to live longer, I figure! I am in the process of welding up battery boxes now. I plan on 5 in front, and 3 in back. This busts my 50/50 weight distribution - but is still better weight distribution than stock - and puts the car just 100 lbs or so overweight - although I still need to accurately weigh it.

1 comment:

  1. WooHoo! Maybe you could make trays with adjustable brackets and hold downs to easily fit whatever jars and quantity you wish to mess with.

    ReplyDelete