Friday, September 3, 2010

Wrapping a wounded, broken finger with missing nail

I found a great product that will not stick to the meat under my fingernail - it is called adeptic. if it sticks, I just soak it in hydrogen peroxide and off it comes. It is a petroleum product - maybe someday it will be made with olive oil or something :-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adaptic-Non-Adhering-Dressing-/130411070302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d1b035e

I put a 1cm strip (cut from the larger strips) around the tip, put regular gauze over that, put a bottom and end supporting splint under the finger and then use another awesome product I scored from the hand surgeon - tube gauze. they told me to change it out daily.
http://www.pocketnurse.com/sc/details.asp?item=06-51-0701

In addition to a tetnus shot the other day, they started me on cephalexin - an antibiotic called a cephalosporin that kills bacteria by "weakening cell walls." I wonder if it is also weakening the cell walls of the "scab" joining my semi-displaced distal phalanx.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cefalexin

Hand surgeon is waiting to xray it until next week so the swelling is down a bit. Hopefully it is knitting fairly straight - i don't want hadware in my hand.

As far as the nail goes, doc says that you only need one nail bed cell to fire up nail growth. and he described the nail linda coming outta a pocket slot opening - and that sometimes one has to massage it open if it is damaged... and coax the new nail out - interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment