Friday, July 31, 2009

Gathered some more pieces today...


In my research, I found that sprockets for 7/8 in shafts with keys (like this Etek motor) are typically for #50 chains (5/8 in. pitch, 3/8 in. wide links, and .400 in. roller diameter) - not for 520 chains like on this Japanese bike. The difference between ANSI #50 and 520 chains being the link width is 3/8 in. and 1/4 in. respectively. That translates into a sprocket width of .343 in and .227 in. respectively. I have a brand new 520 pitch chain and rear (45 tooth) sprocket - and am allergic to spending money, so my initial setup will be a 10 tooth #50 ANSI sprocket turned down (by my awesome brother who managed to also taper the teeth at their ends so as to be more or less symmetrical) to a hair less than .227 width. I found this excellent chain reference on the Internets. I have no idea how well this setup will hold up - I'll make sure to include any dire warnings or raves about this setup in future entries as necessary.
I also picked up 16 ga. sheet metal and fasteners for my battery tray and 1/4 in. steel for my motor mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment